Tucker Carlson may be getting ready to launch a massive news agency to rival Fox News, according to Sunday’s media reports citing multiple unnamed sources close to Carlson.
And if Carlson is successful in setting up his own news agency, the number of viewers he has gotten on one tweet alone, showing the public interest in what he has to say, shows he would likely do better than all other media put together.
“The idea that anyone is going to silence Tucker and prevent him from speaking to his audience is beyond preposterous,” Bryan Freedman, Carlson’s attorney, told Axios about the contract dispute with Fox News.
Carlson was removed from the airwaves of Fox Network on April 21. Since then, the creepy network has suffered quickly dropping ratings among key demographic segments and the viewers who remain are still furious.
Freedman secured a $30 million payout to former Fox News host Megyn Kelly, Business Insider reported and he also represents Don Lemon, who was fired from CNN.
The problem Carlson faces, according to Axios, is the contract, as many have speculated that Fox News plans to pay Carlson his contract salary and keep him off the air just to keep him quiet.
“Carlson is plotting a media empire of his own,” the Blaze reported, “but may be held up in that endeavor since his contract at Fox does not expire until January 2025.”
Zerohedge reported more details:
“Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson is rallying forces to convince Fox to let him out of his contract so that he can work for, or launch, another network, Axios reports, citing sources close to Carlson – who apparently “knows where a lot of bodies are buried and is ready to start drawing a map,” said one source who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly,” adding:
“The network currently holds a contract which expires in January 2025 – after the next US election. To work on the contract dispute, Carlson has retained high-powered Hollywood lawyer Bryan Freedman, who told Axios: “The idea that anyone is going to silence Tucker and prevent him from speaking to his audience is beyond preposterous.”
According to the report, “Carlson allies with big platforms are prepared to attack Fox for trying to keep him on the shelf.”
Zerohedge went on to report:
Why it matters: Tucker vs. Fox could reshape the conservative news world. Fox, which has seen its rating plunge in Carlson’s slot since he was let go 13 days ago, wants to sideline him by paying him $20 million a year not to work.
We’re told Carlson has been contacted by outlets — including the right-wing Rumble and Newsmax — that offered to pay him more than his Fox contract. -Axios
And in a blurb that could send shockwaves through the media landscape, Axios reports that Carlson and Elon Musk have discussed working together, however there are no specifics to report.
The former Fox host is also looking into building a direct-to-consumer media outlet through which his millions of fans could pay to watch him – something his predecessor, Bill O’Reilly, has successfully employed.
“See you soon?”
48 hours after Fox booted Carlson, he tweeted a video discussing the ills of the industry, ending with “See you soon.”
Good evening pic.twitter.com/SPrsYKWKCE
— Tucker Carlson (@TuckerCarlson) April 27, 2023
One close Carlson friend told Axios of the media titan’s allies: “They’re coming to him and saying: ‘Do you want me to hit Fox?’
To which Carlson has been saying “No. I want to get this done quiet and clean.”
In a sign of what could be coming, Megyn Kelly hit her former employer for its post-Carlson ratings by tweeting a reference to conservative attacks on Bud Light: “My audience is calling them #Foxweiser.” -Axios
That said, “Now, we’re going from peacetime to Defcon 1,” according to the friend. “His team is preparing for war. He wants his freedom.”
According to Axios, Elon Musk has been in conversations about working together. Further, sources told Axios Carlson is mulling a direct-to-consumer model to deliver content to viewers.
And that makes sense, as the Blaze pointed out that Twitter re-launched its creator subscription program in April, which provides a means for creators to monetize their content on the platform. For the next year, Twitter CEO Elon Musk said Twitter will keep none of the subscription fees.
“After Fox News made the announcement about benching the top-rated host, Carlson took to Twitter to address viewers directly. He did so in a roughly two-minute video posted April 26 at 8:01 ET, his former time slot,” the Blaze reported.
The post has since been viewed nearly 81 million times. The video attached to the post has garnered more than 24 million views. The text accompanying the post simply says “good evening,” which is the same verbiage Carlson used to open his weeknight, eponymously-named show.
News of the possible partnership has been making the rounds on Twitter with anticipation:
Tucker Carlson and Elon Musk are about to work together to show the real truths in America.
Would you support Elon Musk and Tucker Carlson joining forces to torch Fox News ? 🙋🏻♀️
RETWEET IF U DO! pic.twitter.com/RbYHx0GOhC
— Lori Deers🇺🇸 (@Liana53160) May 8, 2023
“BREAKING NEWS: A new leak from Axios just revealed that Tucker Carlson and Elon Musk have been in talks about working together since Fox News fired
@TuckerCarlson. Do you support this?” Matt Wallace tweeted.
BREAKING NEWS: A new leak form Axios just revealed that Tucker Carlson and Elon Musk have been in talks about working together since Fox News fired @TuckerCarlson. Do you support this?
— Matt Wallace (@MattWallace888) May 7, 2023
In general, reactions were very positive, with only far let ideologues objecting:
“Yes, absolutely! Get the truth out to the masses of people before it’s too late. Humanity is under a state of siege and humankind is being sleepwalked into slavery. Knowledge is power!” Myrna Lim responded.
Yes, absolutely! Get the truth out to the masses of people before it’s too late. Humanity is under a state of siege and humankind is being sleepwalked into slavery. Knowledge is power!
— Myrna Lim (@Myrnastwit) May 7, 2023