Jacob Chansley, the Navy veteran and Jan. 6, 2021 participant named the “QAnon Shaman” because of his face paint and a horned costume, has been released from prison to a halfway house, according to his lawyer. It comes after footage clearing him of wrongdoing- that had never been seen before, even by his lawyer, was shown on the Tucker Carlson show.
Carlson hosted Chansley’s lawyer, Bill Shipley, who said denying him and Chansley access to the footage that exonerated him, was a “dagger in the heart of our Justice System.
It is so compromised. They had that footage and didn’t show me. This is an attack on our Democracy. Chansley is an intelligent and peaceful man, and without you showing that footage we would have never seen it.”
Thursday, there was an update on the situation.
“For the record: Jake is out on schedule,” Shipley tweeted early Thursday morning.
“I told him 16 months ago in our first conversation it would be Feb. or Mar. 2023,” Shipley said. “BOP [Federal Bureau of Prisons] math. I didn’t do anything extraordinary–this was always the schedule, I just understood it and could explain it to him. He was expecting 12 more mos.”
Chansley pleaded guilty in November 2021 to one felony charge regarding his involvement with the Capitol riot and was sentenced to 41 months in prison.
Martin Walsh reported for Conservative Brief about the detail from his lawyer, Bill Shipley, early Thursday morning: “For the record: Jake is out on schedule. I told him 16 months ago in our first conversation it would be Feb. or Mar. 2023. BOP math. I didn’t do anything extraordinary–this was always the schedule, I just understood it and could explain it to him. He was expecting 12 more mos.”
But this is why the trust level between us is solid. I told him the truth, and I told him what would happen. We made several decisions after lengthy discussions. He’s exactly where we both expected he would be. The Tucker revelations are significant, but Jake can’t get the time back. Understanding the schedule, we agreed not to rush our next step. Let’s get accurate info on the videos, evaluate our options, then make a plan. I could have rushed it out and run to the cameras. But that wasn’t the right choice,” he added in subsequent tweets.
Walsh points out:
His release coincides with Fox News Tucker Carlson airing new footage this month on his Fox News program from the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.
The chief of the U.S. Capitol Police issued a memo to his staff on Tuesday following the airing of previously unseen security footage by Carlson, which showed police officers appearing to stand passively as a large crowd entered the Capitol that day.
Police Chief Tom Manger condemned the comments made during the airing of the footage on Carlson’s Monday night program, stating that it was “filled with offensive and misleading conclusions” about the riot of January 6, 2021, when a group of people breached the U.S. Capitol building, causing disruptions to lawmakers who were in the process of certifying President Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory.
“The program conveniently cherry-picked from the calmer moments of our 41,000 hours of video,” Manger claimed. “The commentary fails to provide context about the chaos and violence that happened before or during these less tense moments.”
Manger noted that Capitol Police “maintains, as anyone with common sense would, that had Officer Sicknick not fought valiantly for hours on the day he was violently assaulted, Officer Sicknick would not have died the next day.”
In his memo, Manger thanked and praised members of the Capitol Police force, commending their efforts on January 6.
“You fought like hell on January 6 and risked your lives to protect the Constitution and everything this country stands for,” he wrote. “You, along with our law enforcement partners, saved every member of Congress and their staff.”
Carlson was provided access to some 40,000 hours of previously unseen surveillance video by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Ky.), a move that Democrats and some Republicans, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, criticized.
“It was a mistake in my view for Fox News to depict this in a way that is completely at variance with what our chief law enforcement official here at the Capitol thinks,” McConnell said, according to USA Today.
Utah Republican Sen. Mitt Romney said it’s “really sad to see Tucker Carlson go off the rails like that.” Romey added that he’s “joining a range of shock jocks that are disappointing America and feeding falsehoods.”
“The American people saw what happened on Jan. 6,” Romney told reporters. “They’ve seen the people that got injured. They saw the damage to the building. You can’t hide the truth by selectively picking a few minutes out of tapes and saying this is what went on. It’s so absurd. It’s nonsense. It’s a very dangerous thing to do, to suggest that attacking the Capitol of the United States is in any way acceptable and it’s anything other than a serious crime, against democracy and against our country. And people saw that it was violent and destructive and should never happen again. But trying to normalize that behavior is dangerous and disgusting.”
Carlson called Romney and other establishment Republican senators “weak” and “vicious” after they criticized him for airing the tapes.