As Marine veteran Daniel Penny gets ready to defend his freedom in court after a dangerous encounter he had on a New York City subway two weeks ago, musician Kid Rock was one of the biggest donors.
Jordan Neely, 30, was subdued on May 1 by three men, including Penny, after the guy displayed erratic behavior and made threats.
After the event went viral, a video of Penny placing Neely in a fatal chokehold was posted online.
Prior to charging Penny with second-degree manslaughter last week, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg started a campaign to assist him with any future legal costs.
On Friday morning, Penny turned herself in to the police. She was later let go.
As of Monday afternoon, a GiveSendGo campaign created for him had raised more than $2.1 million. One of the significant donors was Kid Rock.
Mr. Penny is a hero, the musician, whose real name is Robert Ritchie, said while contributing $5,000. POS is Alvin Bragg. Child Rock.
Fox News verified that the rocker had indeed made the donation.
The campaign promises to pay Penny’s legal costs and that any surplus funds would be sent to a New York City mental health group.
Neely reportedly battled drug addiction and mental instability.
Neely, a once-famous Michael Jackson lookalike, amassed more than 40 arrests over the years and, according to The New York Daily News, once pleaded guilty after attempting to kidnap a seven-year-old child.
He had a history of assaults and violent offenses, and two years ago, he was taken into custody for hitting a 67-year-old woman.
Neely was free at the time of his death despite the seriousness of the charges and accusations.
Before the confrontation with Penny, according to passengers who were on the train at the time, Neely made threats of violence and said he might hurt someone.
He apparently added said he wasn’t afraid to live out the rest of his days in jail.
In recent years, random acts of violence have been drawn to the New York City subway system.
In addition, there have been more instances of persons being forcibly forced onto railroad lines in the city.
A 34-year-old man was killed in January after being pushed into the tracks by another guy, whom police identified as Andre Boyce, 28, according to the police.
Boyce, according to The New York Post, had a significant criminal history.