The DOJ’s case against Donald Trump involving classified materials has a trial date set by Judge Aileen Cannon, which is upending expectations.
Despite prior predictions from legal experts that the trial would most certainly occur in 2025, Cannon has set the state date for August 14, 2023. Additionally, she mandated that all pre-trial motions be finished by July.
“U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon bookmarked the last two weeks in August for the historic trial, part of an omnibus order setting some early ground rules and deadlines for the case. That would represent a startlingly rapid pace for a case that is expected to be complicated and require lengthy pretrial wrangling over extraordinarily sensitive classified secrets,” Politico reported.
“But a review of Cannon’s criminal cases, since she took the bench in late 2020, suggests this is standard practice for the Florida-based judge. She typically sets trial dates six to eight weeks from the start of a case, only to allow weeks- or months-long delays as issues arise and the parties demand more time to prepare. While her order on Tuesday starts the clock on a slew of important pretrial matters in the Trump case, it’s not likely to resemble anything close to the timeframe that will ultimately govern the case,” the outlet added.
The trial won’t begin until August 2023, which is the logical (and probably accurate) reaction, but it appears that Cannon is attempting to shorten the schedule. Even if the trial is postponed for six to a year, it might still happen before the start of the primaries or only a few months before the general election.
How forcefully Cannon approaches the situation will determine how quickly it is resolved. Numerous motions that typically cause delays are to be anticipated, frequently agreed upon by the prosecution and the defense. Will she press the matter given how delicate the situation is, particularly in light of the handling of the numerous documents in question? We’ll have to wait and see.
Monday was Special Counsel Jack Smith’s first victory in his conflict with President Trump.
A protective order Smith requested to prevent Trump from revealing confidential information in his case involving classified documents was granted by a federal judge.
“Smith sought the order to ensure that neither Trump nor codefendant Walt Nauta, Trump’s presidential valet, disclose sensitive information obtained during the discovery process, where prosecutors will show the defense what evidence it has amassed during their investigation into Trump’s handling of classified documents since leaving office,” ABC News reported.
The protective order said Trump and Nauta “shall not disclose the Discovery Materials or their contents directly or indirectly to any person or entity other than persons employed to assist in the defense, persons who are interviewed as potential witnesses, counsel for potential witnesses, and other persons to whom the Court may authorize disclosure.”
The defense team was instructed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart to “not disclose the Discovery Materials or their contents directly or indirectly to any person or entity other than persons employed to assist in the defense, persons who are interviewed as potential witnesses, counsel for potential witnesses, and other persons to whom the Court may authorize disclosure.”
“A knowing violation of this Order by Defendants, Defense Counsel, and Authorized Persons may result in contempt of court or other civil or criminal sanctions,” the order warned.
A former Trump criminal defense lawyer said last week that the probe into his improper handling of sensitive information could not even result in a trial.
Trump will appear in Miami on Tuesday for his arraignment in the case brought against him by Smith, who was chosen by Biden’s Department of Justice, according to Timothy Parlatore, who represented Trump in criminal defense matters until last month.