In an interview that took place on Capitol Hill on Tuesday with the Daily Caller News Foundation, former Border Patrol Chief Rodney Scott criticized the Biden administration for rescinding a significant order issued by the Trump administration in favor of a more restrictive program that leaves migrants without court dates.
After fighting in the courts to prohibit its execution, the Remain in Mexico program, which had been in place during the Trump administration and was formally known as the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), was terminated by the Biden administration in August 2022. According to Scott, who served under the Trump administration, it is disingenuous for the Biden administration to condemn the Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP), which compelled certain migrants to wait adjudication of their immigration cases in Mexico, while at the same time it expels certain migrants to Mexico without any court dates. Scott served under the Trump administration.
After the end of Title 42, a public health expulsion order issued during the Trump administration, on May 11 to began expelling certain migrants from Venezuela, Cuba, Haiti, and Nicaragua to Mexico, the new expulsion policy that was implemented by the Biden administration was implemented in preparation for an increase in the number of migrants who were encountered at the southern border. The migrants who were sent back to Mexico face the possibility of being denied admittance to the United States for a period of five years and of being prosecuted for their unlawful entry into the country.
According to federal records, the Border Patrol had more than 2.2 million interactions with migrants during the fiscal year 2022 and has already had more than 1.2 million so far in the fiscal year 2023.
“One of the things that frustrates me the most out of this entire discussion is just the hypocrisy and the lack of transparency. So now we have an administration that has just advertised they made an agreement with Mexico, so Mexico will accept Venezuelans, Nicaraguans, Cubans and Haitians that are being [returned via] expedited removal or voluntary return, but basically, you’re removing them from the U.S.,” Scott said.
“This is the same administration that said when the last administration wanted to make people simply wait for a hearing in Mexico, that it was inhumane. It was too unsafe,” Scott said.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) under the administration of President Joe Biden stated in June 2022 that the Remain in Mexico policy “has endemic flaws, imposes unjustifiable human costs, and pulls resources and personnel away from other priority efforts to secure our border.”
According to DHS, the government of Mexico has signaled its willingness to participate in the most recent initiative by agreeing to take in migrants.
“All we did was ask them to wait until their court date and then come back. What the current administration is effectively doing is deporting them into Mexico, which they said was not safe. So just my thing is, let’s have an adult conversation about this and agree that we need to protect America. I’m not saying the program is bad, I’m just saying the hypocrisy is ridiculous,” Scott said.
The White House and the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately reply to calls for comment from the Daily Caller.