OPINION: This article contains commentary which may reflect the author's opinion
President Donald Trump has been rebuffed by the Supreme Court, which has allowed congressional investigators access to presidential documents relating to the January 6 Capitol attack.
Following the decision on Wednesday evening, the select committee reported having already begun receiving records Trump had previously ‘hidden’ from them.
‘The Supreme Court’s action tonight is a victory for the rule of law & American democracy,’ the socialist committee posted to Twitter.
‘The Select Committee has already begun to receive records that the former President had hoped to keep hidden & we look forward to additional productions regarding this important information,’ the inquisition committee continued.
On Wednesday, the Supreme Court unanimously rejected Trump’s bid to withhold the documents from a congressional panel until the case is resolved by the courts.
It had been Trump’s lawyers’ hope that court proceedings would be prolonged and documents would remain on hold.
Breaking: The Supreme Court refuses to protect the presidency of the United States from abusive encroachments by the Pelosi rump committee. Only Justice Thomas would have granted Trump's request for a stay.
— Tom Fitton (@TomFitton) January 19, 2022
As a result of the high court’s decision, there are no legal hurdles to the National Archives and Records Administration providing the documents. The documents include presidential diaries, visitor logs, draft speeches, and handwritten notes from the files of Mark Meadows, the former chief of staff of President Trump.
A request from the Biden White House prompted the House committee to defer attempts to obtain some documents. According to the current administration, giving the committee all of the Trump administration documents could undermine national security and executive privilege.
Clarence Thomas stands alone among the justices in saying he would have granted Trump’s request to postpone the release of the documents.
Trump’s attorneys had asked the high court to reverse the Washington appeals court’s decision and block the release of the records despite Biden waiving executive privilege.
The court stated in an unsigned opinion that there are ‘serious and substantial concerns’ over whether a former president could get a court order to prevent disclosure of certain records during his time in office.
The appeals court nonetheless held that Trump’s assertion of privilege would fail under any circumstance, ‘even if he were the incumbent.’
In a statement, it said the question of a former president claiming executive privilege would have to be discussed at a later date.
According to the court, the appeals court’s conclusion downplayed a former president’s interests, implying that his successor could in essence ignore those claims.
Justice Kavanaugh, who was nominated by former President Donald Trump, wrote an aside arguing that ‘a former President must be able to successfully invoke the Presidential communications privilege for communications that occurred during his Presidency, even if the current President does not support the privilege claim.’
In spite of this, Kavanaugh did not object to the decision Wednesday.
In the days leading up to and after the riot, Trump offered theories about election fraud and said that the ‘real insurrection’ occurred when he lost to Biden on Election Day.
As they had done before lower courts, Trump’s lawyers had urged the justices to intervene, insisting that the case was relevant to all future occupants of the White House. Former presidents had ‘a clear right to protect their confidential records from premature dissemination,’ Trump’s lawyers argued.
‘Congress cannot engage in meandering fishing expeditions in the hopes of embarrassing President Trump or exposing the President´s and his staff’s sensitive and privileged communications `for the sake of exposure,´’ they continued.
A high court brief filed by the House committee said that although the facts are ‘unprecedented,’ the decision was ‘not a difficult one.’
The court did not explain why its action was taken at this point in time. The National Archives, however, informed the appeals court and Trump’s lawyers that it would turn over some documents that it believes were not part of the court case in the absence of a new order from the court.
Additionally, on Wednesday, members of the House Committee investigating the Capitol violence issued subpoenas to leaders of a group that appeared at events promoting the theory that there was fraud in the 2020 election.
Members of the committee requested records and testimony from Nick Fuentes and Patrick Casey – who lawmakers claim promoted unsupported claims about the election and appeared on Capitol grounds on Jan. 6, 2021, to protest.
Almost 350 people have been interviewed by the inquisition since its creation last summer, as it attempts to create a comprehensive account of the attack and the events leading up to it.
In a sign that Trump is not worried about the Democrat-run inquisition, he announced that ‘he was expanding his Florida property, Trump National Doral Miami. At a time, Florida is experiencing significant population growth, expected to meet 22 Million people in 2022, and an exciting increase in tourism, not slowing down. The move proves that Trump is still invested in his agenda to help create jobs, wealth, and happiness in America,’ as we reported yesterday.
Trump issued a statement which reads in part:
“I have just spent millions of dollars on the Blue Monster golf course at Trump National Doral in the heart of Miami. Incredible what has been created. The Blue Monster is one of the greatest courses in the world.”
‘Also, will be applying for 2,300 units of luxury housing, retail, and commercial space in Phase 1 at Doral. This is perhaps the most exciting development in the Country—and the Blue Monster course, coupled with the Red, Gold, and Silver, are setting records!’